Sheer Khurma is a traditional and popular dessert that is often served during Eid al-Fitr, the festival that marks the end of Ramadan. This creamy and sweet dessert is made with vermicelli, milk, sugar, and nuts, and it is usually served chilled. It is an essential part of Eid celebrations and is enjoyed by people of all ages. perfect for serving during Eid celebrations or any special occasion.
Sheer Khurma Recipe
If you want to make a delicious and authentic Sheer Khurma Dessert at home, you can enjoy this recipe.
The ingredients needed to make sheer khurma are readily available and nutritious.
- 1-liter full-fat milk
- 1 cup vermicelli noodles
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup clarified butter (ghee)
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts (almonds, pistachios, and cashews)
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup dates, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder
How to make delicious and traditional desserts Sheer Khurma? We have all the ingredients ready, let’s move on to the instructions
Step 1: Roast the Vermicelli Noodles
- Heat a pan on medium heat and add 2 tablespoons of ghee and 2 cardamoms.
- Once the fragrance of cardamom starts, add the vermicelli noodles and roast them until they turn golden brown.
- Make sure to stir continuously to avoid burning the noodles; they are very fragile.
Step 2: Boil the Milk
- In a separate pan, add 1 liter of full-fat milk and bring it to a boil.
- On medium heat, let the milk simmer for 10 minutes.
Step 3: Prepare the Sugar Syrup
- In another pan, add 1 cup of sugar and 1 cup of water.
- Heat the pan on medium heat and stir until the sugar dissolves completely.
- Once the sugar syrup starts boiling, reduce the flame and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
Step 4: Mix all the Ingredients
- Add the roasted vermicelli noodles to the boiled milk and stir well.
- Let it simmer for another 5 minutes, or until the noodles become soft.
- Add the sugar syrup and mix well.
- Add chopped nuts, raisins, and dates, and stir well.
- Finally, add 1/2 teaspoon of cardamom powder and mix well.
Step 5: Chill and Serve
- All the ingredients are well mixed; turn off the flame and let it cool.
- Once the mixture is at room temperature, put it in the refrigerator and let it chill for at least 2 hours.
- When sheer khurma is chilled, serve it in bowls or cups and garnish with chopped nuts.
Q: Can I use low-fat milk to make Sheer Khurma?
Sheer khurma is best made with full-fat milk; you can use low-fat milk as well. It changes the taste and creaminess.
Q: Can I skip the nuts and dry fruits in this Sheer Khurma recipe?
Nuts and dry fruits add a lot of flavor and texture to Sheer Khurma; if you can skip them, you can. However, the taste may be slightly different.
Why is it called “Sheer Khurma”?
It is a delicious and nourishing combination of vermicelli, dates, and milk; sheer is the Persian word for milk, and khurma is the word for dates. It can be served hot or cold.